California voters reject sports betting proposals

California voters launched two sports betting initiatives on Nov. 8 that would have allowed in-person betting at racetracks and tribal casinos, as well as online sports betting.

Current laws in the Golden State prohibit sports betting, roulette and craps, according to the California Legislature’s Office.

Types of gambling permitted include the state lottery, cardrooms, horse racing bets and tribal casinos.

Proposition 26 aimed to legalize in-person betting at racetracks and tribal casinos. It would allow privately owned racetracks and casinos to allow wagering except for high school and college games.

Mainstream tracks that would have been affected include Santa Anita Park, Los Alamitos, Del Marand Golden Gate Fields.

Sign up for

Glück und Jockey Flavien Prat, dritter von rechts, gewinnen die Grade III, $100.000 Robert J. Frankel Stakes, Samstag, 1. Januar 2022, im Santa Anita Park, Arcadia CA.<br /> © BENOIT FOTO” src=”https://cms-images.bloodhorse.com/i/bloodhorse-images/2022/01/c093859d396b4521a2906b474ab5f159.jpg?preset=medium” style=”border-width: 0px;” title=” Luck and jockey Flavien Prat, third from right, win the Grade III, $100,000 Robert J. Frankel Stakes, Saturday January 1, 2022, at Santa Anita Park, Arcadia CA.<br /> © BENOIT PHOTO”/><figcaption><small>Photo: Benoit Photo</small></p>
<p>Races at Santa Anita Park</p>
</figcaption></figure>
</p>
<p>Millions of dollars have been poured into campaign support, including support for several Native American tribes such as the Pechanga Band of Luiseño Indians, Yocha Dehe Wintun Nation, Agua Caliente Band of Cahuilla Indians, Federated Indians of Graton Rancheria, and the Barona Band of Mission Indians.</p>
<p>The proposal would have required 10% of bets placed at racetracks each day to be paid into the California Sports Wagering Fund.</p>
<p>That money would go to education first, with the remaining funds being delegated between gambling addiction and mental health programs/grants, sports betting and gambling enforcement costs, and the general sovereign wealth fund.</p>
<p>A staggering 70.4% of Californians voted “no” to the proposal, which the ballot called “sports betting on tribal lands.”  The other voters, 29.6%, said yes.</p>
<p>Another initiative was Proposition 27, which would allow tribes and gambling establishments to offer sports betting online.</p>
<p>The proposal would allow such betting across the web and mobile devices, including football games and some other non-sports events, but would ban betting on high school games and elections.</p>
<p>If passed, the law would have created a new fund with 10% of sports betting going to the California Online Sports Betting Trust Fund.  Proceeds would be used first for government regulatory costs and then split between tackling homelessness and gambling addiction (85%) and other tribes not involved in betting for government, business, health, etc. (15%).</p>
<p>It has been endorsed by companies like FanDuel, BetMGM, and DraftKings.  The majority (83.3% of voters) answered “no” on their ballots, with the remaining 16.7% in favor. <br />
 </p>
</p></div>
<p><a href=source

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *