Court News: Woman convicted of voting before her civil rights were restored – Detroit Lakes Tribune

Woman convicted of felony illegal voting

DETROIT LAKES — Justine Star Fasthorse, 29, of White Earth, has been convicted in Becker County District Court of a felony count of knowingly voting by unauthorized voters.

According to court records, on June 25, 2019, Fasthorse was convicted in Becker County District Court of receiving stolen property, a felony.

As a result of the conviction, Fasthorse is ineligible to vote in Minnesota until her civil rights are restored.

On November 8, 2020, Fasthorse voted in the general election in the village of White Earth, Becker County. Their civil rights had not been restored. An investigator from the Becker County Sheriff’s Office spoke to Fasthorse over the phone about the November 8, 2020 election, and Fasthorse admitted that she voted that day and knew her civil rights had not yet been restored.

On September 28, District Judge Gretchen Thilmony sentenced Fasthorse to a year and a day in prison in Shakopee, serving four years. She was sentenced to 13 days in prison, of which 13 days were served. She was fined $50 plus $200 in court costs.

She has been placed on supervised probation for four years and has been ordered not to register to vote or to vote until she is released from probation and her civil rights are fully restored.

Man convicted of police chase that ended in PIT manoeuvre

Derek Wayne Greenfeather Jr., 19, of rural Ponsford, was convicted of a felony by a Becker County District Court when he fled from a peace officer in a motor vehicle.

The charges of theft and receiving stolen property were dropped in a plea agreement.

According to court records, on the evening of July 25, 2021, a Becker County deputy found a Subaru Outback in Pine Point that had been reported stolen a day earlier.

The deputy saw the Subaru head east on the Pow Wow Highway in the Pine Point area. It pulled off the road and the deputy caught up with the vehicle and activated its emergency lights. The Subaru pulled to a stop in front of a nearby apartment building, then turned in the yard and sped away south on 471st Avenue before turning east on a trail north of Pine Point School.

It approached a second squad car, which had activated its emergency lights, and drove around it. The first deputy then activated his siren and continued in pursuit of the vehicle, which made several turns, went over curbs and entered a field.

The Subaru went through a ditch in the backyard of the Pine Point community center, then another ditch and a field. MPs were unable to keep up with the vehicle due to the reckless operation and disregard for the safety of others. However, the second officer was finally able to stop the vehicle with a pursuit maneuver (PIT).

The driver was arrested and identified as Greenfeather, who had been the subject of multiple arrest warrants over the previous eight months. The registered owner was notified and collected his car from the scene of the accident.

On September 7, Greenfeather was sentenced by Becker County Circuit Judge Gretchen Thilmony to a year and a day in Stillwater prison and served five years. He was sentenced to 100 days in prison, with a credit for 100 days served, and was fined $400 plus $550 in court fees.

He must complete a chemical dependency assessment and follow the recommendations including aftercare.

Greenfeather was placed on probation for five years.

Frazee man convicted of felony DWI

Pete Elston Jacobson, 38, of Frazee, was convicted of a felony DWI charge by Becker County District Court.

A second DWI felony charge was dropped in an appeal agreement.

According to court records, on March 16, a Becker County deputy received a tip that Jacobson was driving under the influence.

The deputy found the suspect vehicle and followed it through Frazee, at one point watching it make a wide right turn into the oncoming lane.

Jacobson’s speech was slandered and he admitted that he had been drinking and did not have a driver’s license. At the Becker County Jail, his blood alcohol level was tested at 0.26%, more than three times the legal limit. He has previous DWI convictions in 2013, 2017 and 2019.

On September 20, District Judge Michelle W. Lawson sentenced Jacobson to 36 months in St. Cloud’s prison, served seven years.

He was sentenced to 35 days in prison, with 35 days credit against him, and was fined $1,000 plus $1,105 in court fees.

Jacobson must successfully complete the court’s DWI program, receive a full and comprehensive evaluation, and follow the recommendations.

He was placed on probation for seven years.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *