Joshua Primo’s accuser accuses Spurs of 10 months of inaction and files lawsuit against team

The San Antonio Spurs surprisingly dropped young guard Josh Primo in October, and after reports suggested it stemmed from alleged incidents of indecent disclosure involving a team employee, that former employee finally spoke up at a news conference in Houston on Thursday . The alleged victim, clinical sports psychologist Dr. Hillary Cauthen, with attorney Tony Buzbee, addressed the media and set out a timeline of events:

  • The first incident happened in late December 2021 when Primo allegedly bared his penis in one of their first sessions together. This was immediately brought to the attention of the team’s general manager, Brian Wright. After being postponed several times, Cauthen managed to get a meeting with him. Cauthen insisted head coach Gregg Popovich be made aware of the situation and was informed in June, but Buzbee admitted they weren’t sure if that was true or not.
  • Spurs continued to urge Cauthen to hold sessions with Primo and other players. Primo’s alleged behavior continued and escalated from there. Cauthen was eventually told to work from home.
  • At one point, Spurs asked Cauthen to take part in a “relieved discussion” with Primo to find out what prompted him to expose himself to her.
  • Cauthen was not asked to travel to Las Vegas with the team for the Summer League, although she normally would have. Eventually, she was told that the team had “lost confidence in her.” Her contract was not renewed in August. On October 10, just weeks before he was sacked, Spurs exercised Primo’s option for the 2023-24 season.
  • Primo is said to have been involved in incidents in Las Vegas in the Summer League and earlier this season in Minnesota, the latter of which appear to have led to his release.

On Thursday, Cauthen filed a lawsuit against Primo and the Spurs and will file a criminal complaint for indecent disclosure. In all, she claims Primo exposed himself to her nine times. Primo’s attorney, William J. Briggs, gave a lengthy statement Thursday as a refutation of the Cauthen press conference.

“Josh Primo is a 19-year-old NBA player who has suffered from trauma and challenges throughout his life,” the statement said. “He is now being bullied by his former team’s appointed sports psychologist, who plays on ugly stereotypes and racially charged fears for her own financial gain.

“In an act of betrayal of her young client, Dr. Cauthen, who is 40, incorrectly claims that Josh Primo has exposed her to embellishment or outright fantasy over the course of her numerous therapy sessions. Josh Primo never intentionally exposed himself to her or anyone else, and wasn’t even aware that his privates were showing outside of his training shorts.

“What makes the allegations even less credible is the fact that Dr. Cauthen never informed her patient of the alleged exposure. Primo, with many years of experience as a sports psychologist, is baffled as to why she didn’t bother to tell her patient that his privates were visible under his pants.

“Josh Primo is at the beginning of a promising career and has been devastated by these false allegations and being released by Spurs. He is in the process of receiving treatment to deal with the trauma that Dr. Cauthens have made misleading allegations about the previous trauma he suffered as a child. He looks forward to clearing his name and advancing his NBA career.”

After the press conference ended on Thursday, Spurs CEO RC Buford spoke released the following statement:

At the end of her press conference, Cauthen issued a statement of her own: “I am disheartened to stand here and share the events of my story, but I am also very humbled and honored to have a place where other words cannot share.” , she said. “I am a clinical sports psychologist. I am a mother of four wonderful daughters, I am a woman. And I’m a victim.

“I am many things, but I am not alone in my struggle to do the right thing. The right thing to say is no, it’s not okay. to hold people accountable. Bring about systemic change and protect those who suffer Silence. The right thing to say is also that I’m sorry, I let you down and we have to do better. My passion is helping others learn how to thrive in their world and helping organizations develop a culture of caring. The organization I worked let me down, and in turn I felt like I let those around me down when I wanted to make a difference. I spoke, I asked for help, I offered options. My voice and my feelings, my real things have been silenced.

“Due to their inaction and the protection of their assets, other people have been affected and I am truly sorry. I ask all listeners not to make harsh criticisms or draw conclusions, this is a sensitive matter and these are the people who are affected. We cannot assume, but we can take action. It took Spurs 10 months to do the right thing. That is to long. I hope everyone who hears it can learn from it. I hope that through this I can be a part of Agent for Change. It’s never too late for us to change and get better.”

To date, Spurs have not apologized for what happened, according to Buzbee. However, RC Buford, CEO of Spurs Sports & Entertainment, issued an official statement on the allegations made in the lawsuit after Thursday’s press conference.

“We disagree with the accuracy of the facts, details and timeline presented today. While we would be happy to provide more information, we will allow legal recourse. Our organization remains committed to upholding the highest standards and we will continue to live by our values ​​and culture.”

While it remains to be seen what the outcome of these lawsuits will be, a messy legal battle seems to be on the way.



source

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *