From Intent to Action: The report highlights benefits for diversity, water conservation, greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, data transparency and more
DENVER, November 4, 2022 /PRNewswire/ — Lumen Technologies (NYSE: LUMN) today announced the release of its 2021 Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) report, which highlights key social responsibility and environmental protection programs and initiatives. The full report is available online.
“The past year has been an amazing journey. I am proud of the great work highlighted in this report, made possible through the dedication of our Lumen employees,” said Lumen President and CEO. Jeff Storey. “Our social and environmental responsibilities are inherent in everything we do. Our purpose to power human progress through technology has never been more crucial. While we’ve made great strides, Lumen strives to do more.”
Report highlights include:
- Transformation of farming into precision farming through digital technologies: Lumen’s partnership with the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) has enabled approximately 100,000 USDA employees in nearly 9,500 locations to connect and effectively manage agriculture, food and nutrition, forestry and rural economic development services across the country.
- Help reinvent the data center as green: By providing customers with long-haul fiber convergence, Lumen enables them to go beyond just operating “cold storage” hosting facilities and enable data centers with low-latency, carbon-negative carbon credits that offset those generated by their operations Using heat to feed indoor farms that grow produce.
- Adopt a multi-pronged, data-driven approach to diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI).: In 2021, a Diversity and Inclusion Steering Committee was established, resulting in a record diverse cohort of Lumen employees that was 47% women and over 50% Black.
- Reducing greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions.: Lumen GHG targets set in 2019 resulted in a 25% reduction in scope 1 and 2 emissions and an 11% reduction in scope 3 emissions compared to 2018 baselines.
- Save more water with efficiency projects and real estate consolidation: Compared to a 2018 baseline, Lumen achieved a reduced water usage of 42 million gallons.
- Make it easier to see how our data is collected, stored, used and shared: Lumen is a company that sends and receives large amounts of information. With the launch of the online trust center in 2021, Lumen improves transparency on privacy, data protection, security and other issues.
Lumen’s innovation efforts are focused on driving sustainable human progress through the power of technology. Lumen’s ESG strategy titled Our journey to amazing things, demonstrates its ability to innovate and shows customers, suppliers and partners how Lumen plans to make a positive impact on the world. The four core areas of this ESG strategy are: Unlocking sustainability through innovation, empower people, protection of our planetand Build strong governance and transparency.
Lumen’s commitment to sustainability promotes the financial health of its business, the quality of the services it provides, and creates value for its employees, communities, customers and investors.
2021 awards include:
- Forbes Best Employer for Women
- Forbes Americas Best Employer for Diversity
- Forbes Worlds Best Employer
- Top 50 Employers – Minority Engineer Magazine
- Top 50 Employers – STEM Workforce Diversity Magazine
- Top 50 Employers – Woman Engineer Magazine
- NaVOBA Best Corporations for Veterans Business Enterprises
- Military times best for vet employers
- Disability Equality Index® Best Places to Work™
- Human Rights Campaign Foundation Best Place to Work for LGBTQ+ Equality
- WayUp Top Internship Program Winner #1
Lumen’s commitment to sustainability is reflected in reporting aligned to the ESG framework, a focus on customer-centric operational excellence and continuous improvement. With this increased focus on sustainability, Lumen aligns its brand value, message and focus with the direction of its customers and the markets it serves.
About Lumen Technologies and Lumen employees:
Lumen is guided by our belief that humanity is at its best when technology advances the way we live and work. With approximately 400,000 fiber miles and customers in more than 60 countries, we deliver the fastest, most secure platform for applications and data to help businesses, governments and communities create amazing experiences.
Learn more about the Lumen network, the edge cloud, security, communication and collaboration solutions, and our goal of powering human progress through technology atnews.lumen.com/home, LinkedIn: /lumentechnologies, Twitter: @lumentechco, Facebook: /lumentechnologies, Instagram: @lumentechnologies and YouTube: /lumentechnologies. Lumen and Lumen Technologies are registered trademarks in the United States.
SOURCE Lumen Technologies