By Sonny Jones
As the headline goes, here’s some news and notes from under the couch’s pillows:
• Congratulations to the Houston Astros on winning the 2022 World Series when they beat the Philadelphia Phillies in six games. Won the best 106 games in the American League and was the better team with more than half a dozen players playing in Buies Creek or Fayetteville a few years ago.
• I haven’t attended a minor league game in years. In fact, the last one was the Fayetteville Woodpeckers’ 2019 home opener. First game at Segra Stadium. part of my work at the time. I have some minor league games to watch next season. Maybe not Fayetteville, but plenty of options around the Carolinas.
• It looks like there will be a clash between North Carolina and Clemson for the ACC Football Championship in early December.
• Has NC State found its new star in freshman quarterback MJ Morris? He’s been improving every week, leading the Wolfpack 30-21 over Wake Forest on Saturday night by throwing for three touchdowns. I sure thought Wake would win the game, but the Deacons are fighting.
• Bladen County Parks and Recreation will hold a public meeting on Tuesday, November 15 at 7:00 pm in the Commissioner’s Room on the lower level of the Bladen County Courthouse in Elizabethtown. The purpose of this meeting is to discuss the Department’s application for the Parks and Recreation Trust Fund (PARTF).
• A two-man classic golf tournament will be held on Saturday, Nov. 19 and Sunday, Nov. 20 at Vineyard Golf at White Lake. The cost of the game is $150 per person or $300 per team. A 12:30 p.m. shotgun start in best ball format on Saturday and a 12:30 p.m. shotgun start in Texas scramble format on Sunday. Registration closes on Tuesday November 15th.
• The Bladen County Recreation Department has until December 9 to process registration for its youth basketball programs. There will be leagues for boys and girls aged 6 to 12. Age will be determined based on the player’s age as of January 1, 2023. The registration fee is $35. Players can register online by clicking here or at the Parks and Recreation Department located at the King Street Gym near Canvas Park in Elizabethtown. For information, call the office at 910-862-6770.
SUNDAY PICK TO CLICK
After last week’s “wall ride” to get into the title race, Ross Chastain will win the NASCAR Cup Championship at Phoenix Raceway. He’s not the favorite, but after the video game move to Martinsville, he’s the pick.
SATURDAY GAME: Bryce Harper and Nick Castellanos Homer as Philadelphia beats Houston to force a crucial Game 7 in Sunday’s World Series. RESULTS: Not just not harpers still Castellanos hit a home run but the pair went 8-0 together with 4 strikeouts as the Phillies lost 4-1.
SCHEDULE THIS WEEK
• Volleyball: Nakina, 4 p.m., Bladenboro vs. Williams Township, Bladenboro vs. Nakina; In East Columbus, 4 p.m., Elizabethtown vs. East Columbus, Elizabethtown vs. Whiteville; In West Columbus, 4 p.m., Tar Heel vs. Tabor City, Tar Heel vs. Clarkton School of Discovery, Clarkton School of Discovery vs. West Columbus
• 5-7 Football at Bladen County Park: Mutiny Against Sharks, 6 p.m.; Earthquake vs. Hornets, 6 p.m.; Cosmos vs Titans, 7 p.m.; Lightning vs Silverbacks, 7 p.m
• 5-7 Football at Bladen County Park: Dynamos vs. Raptors, 6pm; Thundercats vs. Grizzlies, 7 p.m
• No games planned
• Volleyball: In Williams Township, 4:00 p.m., Clarkton School of Discovery vs. Williams, Clarkton School of Discovery vs. Tabor City; In West Columbus, 4 p.m., Tar Heel vs. East Columbus, Tar Heel vs. West Columbus; At Whiteville Central, 4 p.m., Elizabethtown vs. Nakina, Elizabethtown vs. Bladenboro, Bladenboro vs. Whiteville
• Boys’ Soccer: Clarkton School of Discovery in Nakina, 3:45pm; Tar Heel at Whiteville, 3:45 p.m
• Flag Football at Bladen County Park: Tarheels vs. Tigers, 6 p.m.; Ducks vs. Gamecocks, 7 p.m
• Tackle Football at Bladen County Park: Tigers vs. Spartans, 6:00 p.m.; Ducks vs. Crimson Tide, 7 p.m
• No games planned
IN SPORTS HISTORY TODAY
• 1869 — First US college football game played, Rutgers 6, Princeton 4.
POTATOES YOU CAN LOOK AT TODAY
• DP WORLD TOUR: Rolex Challenge Tour Grand Final, 5:30 am, GOLF
• TENNIS: ATP Doubles Finals, 6:30 am, TENNIS
• MEN’S FOOTBALL: Arsenal v Chelsea, 7pm, USA
• RUN: New York City Marathon, 8:30 am, ESPN2
• MEN’S SOCCER: Crystal Palace v West Ham United, 9am, USA
• TENNIS: ATP Singles Finals, 9am, TENNIS
• WOMEN’S FOOTBALL: Florida St. vs. North Carolina, noon, ESPNU
• NFL: Carolina in Cincinnati, 1 p.m., FOX
• NFL: Buffalo at NY Jets, 1 p.m., CBS
• CFL PLAYOFFS: Hamilton in Montreal, 1 p.m., ESPN2
• MEN’S FOOTBALL: Virginia Tech at Wake Forest, 2 p.m., ACCN
• PGA: World Wide Technology Championship, 2 p.m., GOLF
• TENNIS: WTA Finals Semifinals, 2:30 p.m., TENNIS
• NASCAR CUP: Cup Series Championship, 3:00 p.m., NBC
• MEN’S SOCCER: Pittsburgh, Virginia, 4 p.m., ACCN
• RODEO: PBR Team Series Championship, 4:00 p.m., CBSSN
• NFL: LA Rams at Tampa Bay, 4:25 p.m., CBS
• CFL PLAYOFFS: Calgary v British Columbus, 4:30 p.m., ESPN2
• NHL: Toronto at Carolina, 5 p.m., ESPN
• MEN’S SOCCER: North Carolina at Syracuse, 6 p.m., ACCN
• WORLD SERIES: Philadelphia in Houston, if required, 8 p.m., FOX
• MEN’S FOOTBALL: Clemson at Duke, 8 p.m., ACCN
• TENNIS: WTA Finals Semifinals, 8pm, TENNIS
• G-LEAGUE: Salt Lake City at Team Ignite, 8 p.m., ESPNU
• NFL: Tennessee in Kansas City, 8:15 p.m., NBC
• NHL: Florida in Anaheim, 9 p.m., NHLN
Sonny Jones can be reached at [email protected].