NBA (www.NBA.com) Africa and ESPN Africa today announced a multi-year agreement whereby ESPN2 (DStv 219 and Starsat 249) will broadcast a record 180+ NBA regular season and playoff games per season, including the entire Conference Finals and Finals beginning with the 2022-23 NBA season, which kicked off last month.
As part of the deal, ESPN Africa will broadcast all 45 prime-time games in Africa this season live as part of “NBA Saturdays and NBA Sundays presented by NBA 2K23,” where games begin as early as 7 p.m. CAT and the league’s biggest stars. In addition, ESPN2 will host the NBA Holiday Games, NBA All-Star, Play-In Tournament, NBA Action weekly magazine show, NBA Draft and NBA 360 live multi-game look-in program. radiate.
ESPN2 will air 30 classic games each season and will continue to deliver exclusive US-produced studio programs featuring NBA news and updates, including SportsCenter and NBA Today. Viewers across Africa will also have access to new localized NBA programming. In addition, Africa.ESPN.com will feature original content on NBA Africa events on the continent, including youth and elite basketball development programs, appearances by NBA players and legends, and more. The full 2022-23 NBA schedule, including 45 primetime weekend games in Africa, is available here (http://bit.ly/3tgveqz).
“As the home of American sports in Africa, ESPN is committed to bringing the best premium sports content to audiences across Africa through a uniquely diverse and exciting portfolio of sports leagues,” said Kyle De Klerk, Director: Sports Commercial and Business, The Walt Disney Company Africa. “This extended broadcast agreement with NBA Africa extends that promise, and the exciting new programming offering will give fans across the continent even more opportunities to share in the passion and excellence of this prestigious league,” he added.
“ESPN Africa’s broadcasting of a record number of NBA games and the delivery of more locally relevant content to our fans underscores the dynamism of the NBA in Africa and will help us continue to grow the game across the continent,” said Kornelia Semmelink, NBA Africa Senior Director, Global Media Partnerships. “Through this expanded collaboration, we will make the excitement of the NBA more accessible to fans in Africa on the devices and platforms they use most, including during prime time.”
“NBA Saturdays and NBA Sundays Presented by NBA 2K23,” the league’s initiative to schedule prime-time weekend games in Europe, the Middle East and Africa, will air on ESPN2 and will include:
- Sunday November 27: Four-time NBA Champion and 2022 Bill Russell NBA Finals MVP Stephen Curry, four-time NBA All-Star Draymond Green, five-time NBA All-Star Klay Thompson and reigning NBA Champion Golden State Warriors visit three-time NBA All-Star Karl -Anthony Towns, three-time NBA All-Star and Kia NBA Defensive Player of the Year Rudy Gobert (France), 2020-21 Kia NBA All-Rookie First Team member Anthony Edwards and the Minnesota Timberwolves at 10:30 p.m.
- Sunday 25 December: Four-time NBA Champion and Finals MVP LeBron James, 2020 NBA Champion and eight-time NBA All-Star Anthony Davis and the Los Angeles Lakers join Kia All-NBA First Team member Luka Doncić and the at 9:30 p.m Dallas Mavericks 2021-22 on Christmas Day, followed by an NBA Sundays Presented by NBA 2K23 rematch in Dallas on February 26 at 10:30 p.m.
- Saturday, January 14: Six-time NBA All-Star Jimmy Butler, 2020 NBA All-Star Bam Adebayo, 2021-22 Kia NBA Sixth Man of the Year Tyler Herro and the Miami Heat welcome two-time Kia NBA MVP and 2021 NBA Champion Giannis Antetokounmpo, three – Time NBA All-Star Khris Middleton, four-time member of the Kia NBA All-Defensive Team Jrue Holiday and the Milwaukee Bucks at 8:00 p.m.
- Saturday, January 28: Reigning Kia NBA MVP Nikola Jokić and the Denver Nuggets join five-time NBA All-Star Joel Embiid, Kia NBA MVP 2017-18 and 10-time NBA All-Star James Harden and the 76ers portion of NBA Rivals Week at 10:00 p.m. Embiid and Jokić were the top two Kia NBA MVP Finalists 2021-22, with Jokić winning the award for the second straight year.
- Sunday February 12: Three-time NBA All-Star Jayson Tatum, 2021 NBA All-Star Jaylen Brown, Kia NBA Defensive Player of the Year 2021-22 Marcus Smart and defending Eastern Conference Champion Boston Celtics receive 2022 NBA All-Star Ja Morant and the Memphis Grizzlies at 9:00 p.m.
- Sunday, March 5th: Curry, Green, Thompson and the Warriors visit Davis, James and the Lakers at 10:30 p.m.
- Sunday April 9th: Three-time NBA All-Star Devin Booker, 12-time NBA All-Star Chris Paul and the Phoenix Suns host George, Leonard and the Clippers at 9:30 p.m.
For updates on NBA broadcasts on ESPN and other esports, fans can connect with @ESPNAfrica on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram or visit https://www.ESPN.com/. Fans can also download the redesigned NBA app and follow @NBA_Africa on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube.
ESPN Africa has been NBA Africa’s pay-TV broadcast partner in Africa since 2019.
Distributed by APO Group on behalf of the National Basketball Association (NBA).
Notes for editors:
All broadcast times are in Central African Time (CAT/SAST).
Transmission dates and times are subject to change
How to turn on:
ESPN2: DStv 219, Starsat 249
For ESPN Africa:
Jenny Griesel – Jenny Griesel communication
+27 83 406 3444
For the NBA:
Pawel Weszka – NBA Africa Communications
+27 10 007 2666
ESPN, Inc. is the world’s leading multinational multimedia sports entertainment company with a portfolio of more than 50 multimedia sports facilities. It has eight US television networks and 26 international networks, ESPN Audio (broadcast, satellite, digital, podcasts), the world’s leading portfolio of digital sports services, ESPN The Magazine, consumer products, ESPN Events and more. ESPN is 80 percent owned by ABC, Inc., an indirect subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company. Hearst owns a 20 percent stake in ESPN.
About The Walt Disney Company EMEA:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media company encompassing Disney Parks, experiences and products; distribution of Disney media and entertainment; and three content groups – studios, general entertainment and sports – focused on the development and production of content for DTC, theatrical and linear platforms. Disney is a Dow 30 company and had annual revenues of $65.4 billion in fiscal 2020.
The Walt Disney Company has been present in Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) for over 80 years and employs thousands across the region. Between Disneyland Paris and its other iconic brands including Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic, 20th…th Century Studios and ESPN, The Walt Disney Company EMEA, entertains, informs and inspires millions of consumers in more than 130 countries through the power of unparalleled storytelling. Disney+, the company’s direct-to-consumer streaming service, is currently available in 17 markets across Europe.
About NBA Africa:
NBA Africa is a separate entity formed in May 2021 that conducts the operations of the NBA in Africa, including the Basketball Africa League (BAL). The NBA has a long history in Africa, opening its African headquarters in Johannesburg, South Africa in 2010 before opening additional offices in Dakar, Senegal and Lagos, Nigeria. The league’s efforts on the continent have focused on increasing access to basketball and the NBA through youth and elite development, social responsibility, media distribution, corporate partnerships, NBA Africa Games, the BAL and more.
NBA games and programs are available in all 54 African countries, and the NBA has hosted three sold-out exhibition games on the continent since 2015. The BAL, a partnership between the International Basketball Federation (FIBA) and NBA Africa, is a professional league featuring 12 club teams from across Africa that concluded its second season in May 2022. Fans can follow @NBA_Africa and @theBAL on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube.
This press release was issued by APO. The content is not monitored by the African Business editorial team and the content has not been reviewed or validated by our editors, proofreaders or fact-checkers. The issuer is solely responsible for the content of this announcement.